Sweet Potato Brownies with dark chocolate
Who doesn’t like desserts? Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to cut out all sugary delights. Here’s a sweet potato brownies recipe from my Zero Diet cookbook. Enjoy!
by Christina Timotheatos, P.Dt., Nutritionist
Number of portions: 16
Preparation time: 25 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 4 oz. (125 g) 70% dark chocolate
- ½ cup (125 ml) cane sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Wash the sweet potato thoroughly and pierce here and there with a fork. Cook in the microwave oven for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, stir the oil and chocolate over a low heat until the chocolate has melted. Let cool.
- In a bowl, mash the sweet potato and beat with the brown sugar until almost smooth. Stir in the oil and dark chocolate.
- Incorporate the baking powder, eggs, and vanilla and beat to a thick cream. Gradually stir in the flour. Incorporate the dried cranberries.
- Spoon the mixture onto square 8 in. (20 cm) non-stick baking tray. Spread evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick insterted in the centre comes out dry.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking tray before cutting into portions.
Nutritional values per serving : 147 calories, 15 g carbohydrates, 2 g proteins, 9 g fat, 1 starch / ½ fat
Did you like this sweet potato recipe? Try these Healthy Maple Syrup and Pecan Brownies.