It’s Never Too Late for Taking Charge!
March 18, 2013 - By Karine Larose, M.Sc.
Symptoms that we associate with aging (increase of the waistline, deterioration of mental faculties, and physical disabilities) are more a consequence of the physical and mental disengagement process that characterises our daily behavior past a certain age. We all grow old, but the way we feel about ourselves, and our general well-being are mostly under our control. Here are some of the advantages of adopting an active lifestyle and a healthy nutrition, regardless of your age.
· Improvements are much more noticeable for beginners. It is encouraging to know that the benefits can be felt quickly by someone who has been sedentary for several years, and thus, that their potential is great!
· Existing health issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, and obesity can all be better controlled, and even eliminated. By the way, during our I’m Taking Charge 2 Challenge, one of the participants had all his medication withdrawn (linked to diabetes and cholesterol) within the three months of exercising and eating healthy. The development of several other illnesses (including cancers, osteoporosis, Alzheimer) can also be prevented.
· The general energy level is increased, and tiredness is dramatically reduced. We get back that energy we thought we had lost. Sleep quality is therefore also improved.
· The importance of the symptoms linked with menopause is reduced when a woman exercises and eats healthy foods.
· The effects on mental health are undeniable: better mood, less depression, less anxiety, improved self-esteem. Regardless of our age, improved mental health never hurts!
· Not only can we avoid losing muscle mass (generally beginning as soon as 30), but we can maintain, and even increase it by performing muscular exercises such as lifting weights, pulling on elastic bands, etc.
Health is much more than just avoiding sickness. It is a privilege and a quality of life that we must do our best to protect with our daily choices: by eating better, and moving more. Every effort counts and is worth doing in order to enjoy a longer and healthier life!
And you, what effects does your healthy lifestyle have on your daily life?
By Karine Larose
It's Never Too Late for Taking Charge! is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2013