Why seeing a nutritionist will change your life
September 3, 2019 - By Maude Martinez
For many people, consulting a nutritionist is considered a luxury. On the one hand, we already have a good idea on how to eat a balanced diet. On the other hand, there is a lot of information on nutrition on the internet or social media. However, by not consulting a nutritionist, you are missing out on the following talents:
1. She is the only expert in human nutrition
She spent three and a half years in University earning a bachelor’s degree in nutrition. She learned not only the basics of healthy eating (eat your vegetables!), but also:
- Nutritional biochemistry (e.g., how to digest)
- Nutrition according to pathologies and life stages (e.g. how to manage hypercholesterolemia and how to adapt your diet as you get older)
- Food chemistry (e.g. how to cook food and improve a recipe)
- The art of consultation (e.g. how to motivate you)
Also, to use the reserved title of dietitian or nutritionist in Quebec, she must be part of “ l’Ordre Professionnel des Diététistes du Québec” and she must continue training to stay up to date. In short, she is the most reliable source for answering all your nutrition questions.
2. It offers a variety of tools
Although she is often asked for a food plan, the nutritionist uses several other tips.
She discusses several themes related to your goal. Here are a few that she can address with you, either individually or in a group session:
- Food supplements and natural products
- Pre and post workout feeding
- Organization of groceries and the kitchen
- Management of food rages
- Management of emotions and their impact in your plate
- Researching and listening signs of hunger and satiety
3. She adapts the recommendations to your reality
You feel like you know everything about nutrition? Even if you do know about many of the concepts, they can be difficult to apply. The nutritionist takes into consideration your lifestyle and your constraints and accompanies you in the process of changing your eating habits. Without judgment, she will help you:
- Verbalize and specify your objectives
- Have a realistic long-term vision of healthy eating
- Have a less confusing and dichotomous speech about food
- Maintain the motivation to eat healthy by identifying what motivates and demotivates you
In short, she becomes your guide and your coach and, believe me, you will look forward to your next meeting with her!
If the budget is your main limit, please know your employer’s insurance sometimes covers nutritional services. Look into it, you may be surprised! Otherwise, do not hesitate to ask them.
Ordre professionnel des diététistes du Québec. Deux titres, une profession. [En ligne]. https://opdq.org/qui-sommes-nous/deux-titres-une-profession/ (Page consultée le 10 août 2019).
The feminine gender is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the masculine form.
Why seeing a nutritionist will change your life is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2019
A session with a nutritionist will help you on your way!
Let's establish your nutritional goals together and get some expert advice!Make an appointment