Complete Muscle Toning Exercise Program
Muscle toning is a goal sought by many in our clubs. However, if your goal is to lose weight, weight training is just as important. Here is a complete exercise program to strengthen and tone all the muscles of the body.
Start with a 5-minute dynamic warm-up. Choose a cardio activity such as brisk walking, biking, or light jogging, and then perform the following muscle toning exercises according to directions.
Muscle Toning Exercises:
Perform 2 set of 12 repetitions for each exercise
Take a 1-minute break between sets
Complete this workout 3 times a week for best results
Exercise 1: One-leg Dumbbell Lunge (Legs)
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, step forward with one leg until you get a 90 degree angle at the knee. Position the rear leg to get your knee right under your hip for the initial position.
- Perform a full extension without locking the knee. Return to initial position. Complete a full set, and then repeat on the opposite side. *Do not bend the front knee further than your toes.
Exercise 2: Goblet Squat (Legs)
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, with your feet hip-width apart, bend your knees and push your glutes backward.
- With your back straight and head up, sit as far back as possible (use a chair for support if you need to). Squat down until you reach a 90 degree angle at the knees.
- Stand back up and bring your glutes back to their initial position (squeeze your glutes at the end of the movement). *Keep your back straight, and do not bend your knees further than your toes.
Exercise 3: Push-up (Pectorals)
- Go to a push-up position either on your knees or toes, making a straight line with your legs and torso.
- Bend your elbows to bring your chest 1 cm away from the ground. Perform a full extension without locking your elbows, and then repeat. *Do not let your pelvis sink to the floor and keep your abs tensed.
Exercise 4: Standing Shoulder Press (Shoulders)
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand in a standing position, bend your arms and lift them up to position your elbows at shoulders’ level, with palms facing forward.
- Perform a vertical extension without locking your elbows. Slowly lower the dumbbells, and repeat. *Do not arch your back, and keep your abs tensed throughout the exercise.
Exercise 5: Seated Biceps Curl (Biceps)
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, sit on a bench with your elbows to your sides.
- Bend your elbows to lift your forearms to your shoulders. Slowly lower the dumbbells, and repeat. *Keep your elbows to your sides, and do not bend your wrists.
Exercise 6: Skullcrushers (Triceps)
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, lie down on a bench and push your arms up in line with your shoulders, without locking your elbows.
- Bend your elbows to gently brush your ears with the dumbbells, and then extend your arms up back to initial position. * Do not arch your back, and keep your abs tensed throughout the exercise.
Exercise 7: Abdominal Plank (Abs and Back)
Perform two sets of 30 to 45 seconds or more.
- Lie on the ground using your forearms and toes for support. Tense your abs and make a straight line with your legs, torso, and head. *Do not let your lower back sink, and do not lift your pelvis too high.
Exercise 8: Superman (Lower Back)
- Lie on your stomach and spread your legs and arms while looking at the ground.
- Lift the opposite arm and leg at the same time and hold the position for 2 seconds. Lower your arm and leg, and repeat by alternating between sides. *Do not bend your legs.
Finish with a 2-minute walk and deep breathing.