Mini-circuit for Weight Loss
Often, people ask me if there is such a thing as an effective workout that can be done at home, burn lots of calories, all in a short period of time! Well, this mini-circuit for weight loss is very intense and will enable you to increase your energy expenditure without needing any training equipment… or almost! The exercises suggested involve large muscle groups. Energetically speaking, these compound movements are the most rewarding. They will also increase your heart rate, which is profitable during a weight loss process. Because of the relatively demanding nature of this workout, and depending on the number of sets performed, make sure that you recuperate adequately, and allow yourself at least 24 to 48 hours of rest before doing it again.
Start with a dynamic warm-up (such as walking) for at least 5 minutes before beginning the circuit. Your objective will be to perform each exercise during 1 minute, taking a 1-minute break (or 30 seconds, depending on your fitness level) between each exercise. When you have completed the circuit once, repeat it at least twice. Make sure to use a full range of motion for each repetition. The total will amount to 24 minutes of circuit, in addition to your warm-up and cool down periods, for a nice session of about 30 minutes!
1. Jump rope: The ideal would be to have access to a jumping rope, but nothing stops you from mimicking the movement. You can jump with your feet together, by alternating sides, or any way you want to. The important is to jump during the prescribed amount of time.
2. Jumping squat: The height of your jump will vary according to your power and the ease with which you jump. Use a power that you will be able to maintain during the prescribed amount of time. Make sure that you are correctly positioned: your weight should be on your heels, and you should absorb the shock when you land on the ground (try to be as silent as possible).
3. Mountain climbers: Keep your abs tensed, and form a straight line from head to heels. Only your knees should move alternately!
4. Sumo-lunges: Without jumping, and alternating between the split and side lunges, this exercise should ideally be performed on a wooden floor to avoid strain on the knees. You go from one side to the other.
5. Side kicks: You begin by kicking with your right leg only, and after a 1-minute break, you repeat the kicks on the left side. Do not hesitate to use your other foot for support if you lose your balance. The more you practice, the better you will get!
By Karine Larose