Maple-Apple Chicken with mashed potatoes and carrots
A comforting treat for the taste buds, combining the tartness of apples and the sweetness of maple. In addition to being high in protein and low in fat, this Maple-Apple chicken dish is sure to please the whole family!
- 1 kg chicken breasts, boneless
- 3 Spartan apples or your choice, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) 2% milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) low-fat margarine
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sear breasts for 1 minute on each side and then transfer to a plate.
- Add onions, apples and maple syrup. Return chicken breasts to pan.
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to boil slightly. Add broth and season to taste.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour and make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Drain.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes and carrots with milk and margarine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a garden salad.
Did you like this Maple-Apple chicken recipe? Here’s another comforting fall recipe with chicken and apples; Apple-Flavored Braised Chicken.