Healthy Butter Chicken
May 26, 2016 - By Sophie Blais
Preparation: 15 min.
Cooking: 41 min.
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 477 | Fat: 13 g | Carbohydrates: 47 g | Fibre: 3 g | Protein: 43 g
- 190 ml (3/4 cup) basmati rice, dry
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) olive oil
- 1 average onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cardamom pods, whole
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 ml (1 can) light coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) 0% Greek yogurt
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
- 5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Garam masala
- 25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) nutmeg
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) maple syrup
- 3 chicken breasts (540 g), cubed
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cilantro, chopped
- In a pan, cook the rice according to package instructions.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cardamom pods, ginger, and bay leaf, and cook for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, paprika, Garam masala, tomato paste, and maple syrup. Add salt and pepper, and then bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes, and then add the chicken. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Serve with two servings of steamed vegetables.
Nutritionist’s advice: use brown rice instead of basmati rice to increase your fibre intake!
Healthy Butter Chicken is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2016
A session with a nutritionist will help you on your way!
Let's establish your nutritional goals together and get some expert advice!Make an appointment with a nutritionist