How to get in shape in 2021?
January 12, 2021 - By Karine Larose, M.Sc.
The pandemic has forced us to find different ways to improve and maintain our fitness and overall health. Training at home has become a must for many people. Here are a few useful tips that will help you start 2021 with the right tools to get back in shape … and, of course, make it last!
Training at home
Just as many did for remote working, it is important to set up a space and minimally equip yourself so that you can effectively train at home. For more practical information on this topic, read my previous article on the essential training accessories to have at home that will help you create varied, intense yet comfortable workouts.
Online fitness programs
For 15 years now, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) has presented its annual Fitness Trends, and to no surprise, this year’s number one trend is online training. Online training has jumped from # 26 to # 1, in just one year… and this, for obvious reasons!
How to choose the fitness program that suits you best?
When training from home, there are mainly two virtual options: online training platforms which offer group exercise classes and, online sessions with a personal trainer on Zoom or other video-conferencing software.
Online training platforms
Online training platforms are quickly exploding on the web with individuals and companies pretending to be experts in the field. To help you choose wisely, here are eight (8) tips to keep in mind when searching for the online training platform that is best for you:
- Make sure the instructors are competent and certified professionals. For training, put your trust in kinesiologists. For nutritional advice, opt for recipes and recommendations approved by qualified nutritionists. Betting on a recognized and reputable brand in the field of training is synonymous to guaranteed quality.
- Favour variety in your sessions that will suit your tastes (cardio, weight training, yoga, meditation, dance, Tabata and HIIT workouts, etc.). The opportunity to follow live sessions will enhance your motivation significantly!
- Other than a diverse library of workout videos, make sure you have the option to follow fitness programs that are incorporated in a workout calendar. A structured fitness program allows one to follow a pre-established calendar where workout sessions and exercises are determined in advance, including their duration and the days on which they must be completed. These features will maximize your commitment and simplify your life!
- Another important aspect which cannot be neglected is the quality of the videos. If you can, preview them before you register and avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Interested in projecting your workout sessions on your television? Shop for a platform that is compatible with Chromecast or Apple TV.
- Make sure to try before you buy! Nothing is better than taking a free trial to see if the product is right for you.
- Buy local. No need to tell you why … supporting our local businesses makes a huge difference, especially in today’s reality.
- Finally, to maximize your results, search for online platforms that complement your training experience with a nutritional component which features healthy recipes and nutritional plans to help you adopt a healthy lifestyle.
The Ultime Fit online training and nutrition platform meets all of the criteria above. Try it out for free and see if it is right for you!
Online personal training sessions
Online group classes are not your cup of tea? Would you rather train at your own pace and follow something more adapted to your physical condition?
Whether it is to improve your cardiovascular capacity, strength or muscular endurance, to increase your running performance, particularly during the winter months, or to get back in shape, a university-educated personal trainer will help you reach your goals … even from a distance !
Different options are available during an online live consultation session. Your personal trainer can, among other things:
- Create a home workout program with the accessories and space you have available;
- Guide you with exercises tailored to your goals, when and where best suited for you.
Once your trainer has shown you the program, all you have to do is follow the plan and perform the exercises at the prescribed frequency. You can also schedule a follow-up meeting to review proper exercise technique and monitor your progress. Your trainer can also update your program after a few weeks. The idea is to plan out the next few weeks and months so that your 2021 fitness resolutions are a success!
Make an appointment today with an online personal trainer and discover how much these sessions can boost your motivation and help you start 2021 with better health and morale!
After all, using the right tools, structuring your schedule, and having a clear plan to follow is all it takes to stay fit.
Wishing you good health!
Psst! Several insurance policies cover partially or in full the cost of an accredited kinesiologist. Contact your insurance provider to get informed!
How to get in shape in 2021? is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2021