Exercises for shapely and toned buttocks
March 12, 2012 - By Karine Larose, M.Sc.
This routine of 5 super effective exercises will quickly tone up your buttocks! For enhanced results, this workout works the thigh muscles as well as the butt. In order to optimize its calorie-burning effect, combine it with a cardiovascular workout.
I suggest that this program be performed with a pause of 30 to 45 seconds between each exercise. Complete the whole circuit twice. For better results, perform the workout 3 to 4 times a week for 3 to 4 weeks. Do not forget to adjust the weights for each workout. You should feel exhausted during the last repetitions of each exercise. This is the key to quick results.
5 exercises for buttocks : quick and effective!
Exercise 1: Hip extensions
Target areas: Buttocks
Accessories: Exercise ball.
- A. Put your hands (or forearms) on the floor and your pelvis on the ball (A).
- B. Contract your glutes, and extend your legs with your hips while holding your head in line with your spine (B). Return to the initial position.
Exercise 2: Lunge with rear leg extended
Target areas: Legs and buttocks
Accessories: A pair of dumbbells.
Repetitions: 12 repetitions on each side.
- A. Hold the dumbbells in a lunge position, keeping your shoulders over your hips. Your front knee should be over your heel (A).
- B. Straighten the front leg while lifting the rear leg, and bend your trunk toward the ground until your body is parallel to the floor (B). Return to initial position.
Exercise 3: Half burpee
Target areas: Legs, arms and trunk.
Repetitions: One set of 12 repetitions.
- A. Stand with your feet together and your arms on each side (A).
- B. Bend your legs and put the palms of your hands on the floor in front of your feet, keeping your arms outside of your legs, and put your weight on your palms (B).
- C. Using your arms for support, kick your legs back in order to land in the plank position (C). Kick your legs forward to go back to position B, and then jump into position A. Repeat.
Exercise 4: The Skater’s Squat
Target areas: Legs and buttocks.
Accessories: A Pair of dumbbells.
Repetitions: A total of 24 repetitions by alternating legs (12 each).
- A. Standing on a step (or a stair), hold the dumbbells with your arms on each side of your body (not illustrated).
- B. Slightly bend your upper body forward, and perform a rear lunge by bringing your foot far back. Your front knee should be at an angle of 90° (A).
- C. Put your rear foot back on the step and squat down. Hold the position for 2 seconds, and then stand up once again. This cycle represents one repetition. Repeat with the other leg.
Exercise 5: Stability Ball Squats
Target areas: Legs.
Accessories: A dumbbell.
- A. Put the ball between your lower back and the wall and hold the dumbbell in front of you with extended arms. Your feet should be placed a little wider than your hips and your toes should be pointing outside (A).
- B. Tense your abs and slowly squat down with a tempo of 4 seconds until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Make sure that your knees do to go over your toes. Hold for 4 seconds (B). Return to initial position and repeat.
Exercises for shapely and toned buttocks is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2012
Come and see what we have to offer!
Discover the variety and the quality of the equipment at your disposal.Request a free 1-day trial