Butternut Squash Risotto
October 30, 2014 - By Nautilus Plus
It is now squash season, and I love cooking with all varieties. I particularly enjoy butternut, as it is my favourite! So here’s a season recipe I love, a creamy vegetable and butternut risotto!
10 ml (2 teaspoons) olive oil
275 g (2 cups) butternut squash, cut into small dices
5 ml (1 teaspoon) brown sugar
1.25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cinnamon
0.625 ml (1/8 teaspoon) nutmeg
½ large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
250 ml (1 cup) arborio rice, dry
750 ml (3 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth
1 sweet red pepper, diced
250 ml (1 cup) portobello mushrooms, diced
1 litre (4 cups) fresh spinach
190 ml (3/4 cup) light ricotta cheese
80 g (1 cup) parmesan cheese
30 ml (2 tablespoons) fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil with the squash, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper and bake for about 20 minutes or until the squash is cooked.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat, add the onion, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and rice, and cook for another minute. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the broth ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently. Add broth when the rice has absorbed all the liquid. The risotto should be ready in 20 to 25 minutes.
- When there is only 8 minutes left before the squash is cooked, add the sweet red pepper and mushrooms on the baking sheet, and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper.
- Once the risotto is ready, add spinach, ricotta, parmesan, and the vegetable mix.
- Serve with fresh basil.
Each serving of this recipe contains:
437 calories / 60 g carbs / 19 g protein / 15 g fat / 5 g fibre
Butternut Squash Risotto is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2014
A session with a nutritionist will help you on your way!
Let's establish your nutritional goals together and get some expert advice!Make an appointment with a nutritionist