Asparagus side dish with Creamy Garlic Sauce
May 10, 2022 - By Anick Vézina
Spring is already well underway. Are you looking forward to finally enjoying local, in-season vegetables? To celebrate the arrival of warmer weather, we suggest an asparagus side dish recipe, a vegetable with many nutritional benefits that can be grown as early as mid-May!
Asparagus is a little-known and underused vegetable, but it is full of dietary fibre and a good source of iron, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C. It is a delicious accompaniment to fish, seafood, and omelettes!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus (325g)
- ¾ cup 15% cooking cream*
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- Salt (generous pinch)
- Pepper (small pinch)
- 1-2 tsp (5-10 ml) cornstarch
*Substitute cooking cream with soy cream for dairy-free and vegan
- In a food processor, blend cream, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, thyme, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Gently bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and gradually add 1-2 tsp. cornstarch, stirring constantly.
- When mixture has thickened, remove from heat, and let rest.
- Rinse asparagus under cool running water, then break off stem ends by hand.
- Boil or steam the asparagus for 3 minutes (1 to 2 minutes longer if the asparagus is larger).
- Spoon the creamy garlic sauce over the asparagus and serve immediately.
This asparagus side dish would pair well with this Caramelized Salmon with Maple Syrup recipe!
Characteristics: Vegetarian, Nut free, Under 30 minutes
Nutritional value per serving: 110 calories, 8g carbohydrates, 2g fibers, 8g fat, 4g proteins
Asparagus side dish with Creamy Garlic Sauce is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2022