Veggie Butternut Squash Tofu Croquettes
The vibrant orange, yellow and red coloured leaves are a sign that squash season is finally here! Like myself, you probably already enjoy them in creamy soups, but I wanted to do something different. Here are Butternut Squash Tofu Croquettes, a perfect starter to serve your guests.
Butternut squash is easy to cook and is known for its unique, mild, and sweet taste. And what’s more, these vitamin-packed croquettes are rich in protein, so why miss out!
Number of servings : 9 croquettes (3-4 portions)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 200g firm tofu
- 1 ¾ cups (200g) butternut squash, cubed
- Half a medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whole wheat or oat flour
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) ground coriander
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) soy sauce
- 5 mL (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) onion powder
- Cayenne pepper and paprika to taste (optional)
For the dip (optional)
- ½ cup (125g) 0% plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp (60g) light goat cheese*
- 1 tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh chives
*The dip can also be made with a light cream cheese instead of goat cheese, depending on taste.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cubed squash on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, pat the tofu dry. Using your hands, coarsely break up the tofu block into pieces.
- Place tofu, cooked squash cubes and onion in blender.
- Add egg, flour, soy sauce, ground coriander, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Blend for about 45 seconds until uniform but still granular.
- Shape 9 croquettes using your hands or an ice cream scoop (about 30ml) and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and still soft inside.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve your tofu croquettes with your homemade yogurt dip or any dip you prefer!
If you have leftover squash, use it in this recipe: Butternut Squash and Apple Soup!