Too Stressed to Eat Healthy?
December 11, 2013 - By Nautilus Plus
Did you notice that when we are stressed, our sweet tooth tends to reappear? Or that after a particularly demanding day, the need to spend the night watching TV and relaxing while nibbling on salty and crispy snacks, or one (or two) glass of wine arises? Enough to make the task of keeping your line a hardship!
Today, I thought about sharing with you a few tips that will help you stay on course even through stressful periods.
1. Keep healthy provisions handy. Crunchy foods tend to be popular during periods of stress. Instead of going through a whole bag of chips, prepare some raw vegetables, light popcorn, or crackers with light cheese (less than 20 % M.F.). You can also keep all of these snack choices conveniently at the office!
2. Take “hydration pauses”. Opt for a Thermos filled with your favorite drink, preferably warm. Whether it is a chai latte, jasmine green tea, or simply warm water punched with some fresh mint sprigs or lemon, the simple fact that you have to drink it slowly will make you relax, and most of all, prevent you from using food as a source of comfort!
3. Use meals as a time to relax. Meal time is the best moment to enjoy the foods that will energize you for the rest of the day. If you eat too quickly, absent-mindedly in front of the computer, or on your way to your next meeting, not only do you run the risk of eating too much, but you will also miss an opportunity to relax!
4. Find an activity that helps you unwind. I am sure you have already heard that physical activity is an excellent way of reducing stress. Whether it is through a group class such as yoga, a personal training session at your local Nautilus Plus center, or a brisk walk strategically scheduled, being active will help you lower your cortisol (stress hormone) level, and therefore, indirectly help you eat healthier!
5. Kill two birds with one stone! Why not plan an afternoon with family or friends for some community cooking? Or you could order your groceries online, and use the time you just saved to prepare homemade meals? Make your life easier by making sure to keep the foods you want to eat handy, and most of the work will be done!
It’s your turn now! What are your tips for eating healthy during stressful periods?
By Alina Petre
Too Stressed to Eat Healthy? is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2013