Sweet Strawberry-Basil Breakfast Sandwich
Here’s a reinvented version of the classic egg breakfast sandwich. With its strawberry, basil and maple flavours, it will satisfy any brunch lover, even during the most hurried mornings.
To the delight of our taste buds, strawberry season is here! From June to mid-October is strawberry season in Quebec so now’s the time to enjoy the sweet taste of these locally grown berries bursting with flavor. Discover other delicious recipes featuring strawberries, right here!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 8 slices of multigrain bread
- 120 g (about 20 small slices) light sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 16 basil leaves, cut in half
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing cheese, strawberries and basil leaves between 2 slices of bread.
- Brush just one side of each sandwich with the mixture, then place that side down on a non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Once in the pan, brush the other side of sandwich. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Tips for your breakfast sandwich:
- French toast can be baked and frozen before assembly and then thawed and reheated in the toaster for those busy mornings
- Can be served with a drizzle of maple syrup, strawberries and decorated with a basil leaf for a brunch effect