Soup and weight loss
This winter, avoid the traditional hibernating weight gain by eating a healthy hearty soup instead of a large frozen pizza. It’s easy and inexpensive; just use your leftovers and vegetables in your fridge! Here are a few simple steps to make a well-balanced and tasty soup!
Step 1: Sauté your vegetables
- Sauté onions and garlic in large pot with a little canola oil on medium heat.
- Add cut up firm vegetables like celery, carrot, or beets.
- Add softer veggies.
- Add leaf veggies like kale or spinach at the end.
Step 2: Add broth
Take the lowest salt option for chicken/beef/vegetable liquid broth or cubes. Add extra water to cover veggies.
Step 3: Get creative: add your spices and herbs
- Italian herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, or rosemary with most vegetables, especially tomato.
- More exotic spices such as cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and curry with a butternut squash or root veggies.
- Coriander, chili, or left over salsa sauce for some Mexican flavour.
- Saffron and white wine for a tasty fish soup.
- Balsamic vinegar or lemon juice to enhances legumes.
Step 4: Add carbs
Carbohydrates are necessary part of a meal because they are your primary source of energy. Since they absorb a lot of water, double or triple the recommended water. If you don’t add enough water, your soup might turn into a stew!
- Whole wheat pasta;
- Brown/wild rice;
- Sweet potato;
Step 5: Add protein
- Left over beef, chicken, lamb, pork, sausage, turkey;
- Pre-cooked legumes: kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, black beans, split peas;
- Fish: tilapia, cod;
- Seafood: scallop, shrimp;
- Tofu: soft or hard.
Let it simmer, and enjoy the aroma and a healthy bowl of soup! Top it off with cheese, croutons or yogurt.
Do you have a secret soup recipe?
By: Alyssa Fontaine