Try this recipe from the Zero Diet book to enjoy apple picking season!
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 20 min
5 apples, peeled, diced
5 Bartlett pears, peeled, diced
125 ml (1/2 cup) cane sugar
60 ml (1/4 cup) water
1 vanilla pod
2.5 mL (1/2 tsp.) ground nutmeg
5 ml (1 tsp.) ground cinnamon
45 ml (3 tbsp.) lemon juice
125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped pecans
- In a pot, cook over medium heat the apples, pears, sugar and water.
- Split the vanilla pod in half lengthwise. With a knife, remove the seeds and place them in the pan with the empty pod.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla pod.
- Using an electric mixer, puree the mixture.
- Let cool and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
- When serving, add 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of chopped pecans per serving.
Nutritional values per serving: 205 calories, 42g carbohydrates, 1g protein, 6g fat