March is Nutrition Month!
It began in the late 1970’s as a Nutrition Week with a small group of community dietitians. Local dietitians across several Canadian provinces then began planning activities and events in their workplaces and communities. It became a national campaign in 1981. By the end of the decade, it was expanded to a month.
The primary purpose of the campaign was to increase public awareness about the importance of healthy eating by identifying dietitians as a trustworthy and credible source of nutrition advice.
For over 30 years, the theme for Nutrition Month has been determined by The Dieticians of Canada in accordance to today’s context and suggestions of their members.
It’s not just what you eat, it’s also how you eat! There you have it, this is the theme for Nutrition Month 2020. Although nutritionists love food, their role also consists of helping people adopt healthier lifestyles.
Here’s some food for thought:
- How fast do you eat?
- Are there distractions like the television, cell phone, etc. at mealtimes?
- Do you snack while prepping meals?
The planning :
- Do you prepare a grocery list?
- How many visits to the grocery store per week?
- Do you tend to plan your meals for the week or one meal at a time?
Savour your food :
- Do you take the time to savour your food?
- Do you try new recipes from time to time?
In good company :
- Are the children involved in the meal prep?
- Does your family gather around the dinner table? Breakfast, lunch, dinner?
- Do you plan your meals as a family? With friends?
Nutrition Month 2020 activities
During the entire month of March, our dietitians/nutritionists will be available to answer all your questions at Nautilus Plus. Several activities are planned including conferences and information kiosks.
- Receive a FREE Zero Diet meal of your choice with your registration to one of our conferences*!
- You can also make an appointment to receive your FREE** 30-minute express consultation with a nutritionist during Nutrition Month if you are looking to change, improve, or adopt healthier lifestyle habits. THIS OFFER IS OPEN TO EVERYONE…MEMBERS AND NON-MEMBERS ALIKE!
- Have you noticed the “Wall of Healthy Eating Habits” in your club? If there’s an eating habit you would like to change, improve, or adopt…just write it on a “post-it” and stick it on the wall with the others!
Happy Nutrition Month!
*$10 per inscription. Details in club. **Offer valid by appointment only.
Adapted from information found in Nutrition Month by the Dietitians of Canada.