Healthy Frozen Treats!
August 7, 2015 - By Nautilus Plus
What’s one of our favourite treats to enjoy by the poolside during summertime? That’s right, ice cream. This frozen treat will not make you fat if you indulge in little quantities once in a while. However, if you can’t get enough of it, here are some suggestions that could help you maintain your weight over the summer, and even shed a few pounds.
At the ice-cream parlour
- Opt for small servings, or share!;
- Avoid extras, such as candies, chocolate, fruit sauces, whipped cream, etc.;
- Listen to your hunger: take your time to enjoy your ice cream, and once you feel full, don’t hesitate to put the rest aside (you will only enjoy your next treat even more);
- When available, opt for frozen yogurt or tofu;
- The best choice would be sorbet, as it is low fat! Because it consists mainly of juice and pureed fruit, it contains more carbs than regular ice cream, but less than 5% milk solids.
Beware, milk shakes and gelatos can be higher in calories than ice cream!
- Freeze your favourite fruit and eat them with yogurt;
- Choose the kind of frozen yogurt and ice milk you buy at the supermarket. Products with a short list of ingredients are smart choices;
- Create your own custom popsicles. Here’s a recipe I love:
For 6 popsicles:
3 cups watermelon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
Put all the ingredients into a blender, and mix until smooth. Pour the mix into popsicle molds with sticks. Freeze for about 4 hours, or overnight.
The nice thing about this recipe is that you change modify it to suit your tastes. You can use any fruit you want, and replace yogurt with fruit juice!
Enjoy your refreshment!
Marie-Eve Nadeau, P.Dt.
Healthy Frozen Treats! is a post from Nautilus Plus. The Nautilus Plus blog aims to help people in their journey to fitness through articles on training, nutrition, motivation, exercise and healthy recipes.
Copyright © Nautilus Plus 2015
A session with a nutritionist will help you on your way!
Let's establish your nutritional goals together and get some expert advice!Make an appointment