Five Reasons to Use Your Slow Cooker
Would you like to prepare delicious, hassle-free meals? Use a slow cooker! Here are five reasons that will make you want to buy a slow cooker if you don’t already have one:
- Slow-cooked meat is particularly soft and flavourful. The magic behind this technique works from steam cooking, which is slow (4 to 12 hours) and uses moderate temperatures (less than 150°C or 300°F). Those are ideal conditions to tenderize meat.
- Screwing up a recipe is virtually impossible when you use a slow cooker. Food is very unlikely to burn even after several hours of cooking for two reasons: first, it is protected by the liquid, and second, the lid prevents this liquid from evaporating. Heat is distributed throughout the walls of the slow cooker rather than only from the bottom, providing for even, flawless cooking. It doesn’t matter if you’re a first timer or an experienced chef; your guests will be enchanted!
- Steam cooking in a slow cooker is one of the only cooking methods that require no extra fat! Reducing the energy density of your meals will make it easier to meet your calorie count at the end of the day. A great way to enjoy eating without making compromises on your nutrition plan!
- Maximize time by using your slow cooker. It will cook for you during the day, and supper will be ready once you get home!
- Save money by using tough cuts of meat, such as blade roast, shoulder roast, shanks, or top round; the heat will slowly penetrate the meat and tenderize the fibres of any meat, even the hardest!
Slow cooking will give you a delicious, tender meat that’s perfectly cooked. It will save you time and money and enable you to prepare all kinds of low-fat recipes with a wide range of tastes. Furthermore, the slow cooker is very versatile; use it to cook meat or vegetarian stews, chili recipes, soups, sauces, pasta, and even desserts. If you feel insecure, start with a pulled meat recipe, served on a bun of whole grain bread and a nice bowl of healthy creamy coleslaw! You won’t be disappointed! I hope you get to explore a whole new world of possibilities with your slow cooker.
Dominique Longpré, P.Dt.