Bruschetta “au gratin”, a classic!
This classic remains a must-have for festive gatherings. You can serve it as an appetizer or simply as a complement to your meal. This delicious Bruschetta “au gratin” will take less than 30 minutes to prepare, leaving you more time to chat with guests!
Yield: Approximately 30 crostini (little toasts)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 3 cups), diced
- ½ whole grain baguette
- 2/3 cup light cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp (60ml) low-fat margarine
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Italian spices
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves (about 2 tsp.), chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and place rack in center of oven.
- Slice the bread to obtain 30 slices of roughly 1cm in thickness.
- Lightly spread each slice with low-fat margarine on one side only and place on a baking sheet, spread side up.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut tomatoes into 1 cm cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add chopped green onions, olive oil, minced garlic, and Italian spices to the bowl. Mix well.
- Place 1 tbsp. of the mixture on each slice of bread just out of the oven.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on each slice.
- Broil for 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious Bruschetta “au gratin”. Be careful, it’s hot!
At your next dinner party, add this Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Dip to your list of appetizers!